Lindsey Ferris

This is a public blog where Lindsey's family, friends, and acquaintences can share stories, photos, and memories with each other. Pictures are posted with only positive intentions, but if you would like us to remove a picture, please let us know and we will take it off.

If you would like to post on this blog, please send an email to LindseysFriends@gmail.com with any pictures or stories.

Monday, February 20, 2006

A life that inspired

This is a poem I used as speech material in one of my classes back in high school. Lindsey helped me prepare for the assignment by letting me practice reading it in front of her. For the longest time I couldn't remember the name of it or who it was by. I had bits and pieces in my memory but couldn't come up with the major concept so it was difficult to find. As I was reading Nick's entry something clicked and I was able remember enough of it to find it again (thank you Google and my Library Science training). As I read through it again I realized just how much it reminds me of Lindsey. Not just because of the help she gave me with my speech but because it seems to capture her spirit and speak to her determination and drive in life. It recognizes how important living in the moment is and as Nick stated, this was something Lindsey valued. And it speaks of those men and women, like Lindsey
who live lives of caring and value and who inspire those they leave behind to be the very best they can be. I thought I would share it with all of you.


Psalm of Life
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream! --
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act, -- act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God o'erhead!

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.


Mary Beth Simiele

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home